In 2005, My Morning Jacket released its commercial and critical breakthrough album "Z". It was a masterpiece in every which way, and I had it as my top album of the year. After taking time off (releasing the seminal "Okonokos" live CD along the way), MMJ finally comes back with its highly anticipated new studio album, three years in the making.
"Evil Urges" (14 tracks, 55 min.) plays like a 3 part musical drama. The first 4 tracks find Jim James and his band continuing the exploratory themes of "Z", with the excellent title track, but also in particular "Highly Suspicious", which reminds of Prince of all people, and a thrilling "I'm Amazed". The middle section of the album retreats to more "traditional" MMJ, with pensive tracks such as the beautiful acoustic "Librarian" which Jim James finds lamenting for a love-wanna. The last third of the album, though, is where the real pay-off comes, starting with a hard charging (and sing-along) "Aluminum Park", and peaking with the 13 min. mini-suite of "Smookin From Shootin" and "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2", as mesmerizing as anything MMJ has done. Just beautiful.
In all, "Evil Urges" is a fantastic album, although (for me personally) falling *this* short of the astounding album that "Z" was and is. That aside, MMJ is one of the best live acts out there these days. I saw them again at Coachella a few months ago, where they previewed several of the new album tracks (including "Highly Suspicious" and "I'm Amazed") and it was stellar. MMJ is a breath of fresh air in the indie-rock scene. "Evil Urges" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
No comments:
Post a Comment